I was fortunate enough to attend my very first author fair at a local library - Charlestown-Clark Public Library in Indiana last Monday. When I arrived (thirty minutes before the event start), our tables were set up and each table had the name of an author posted.
I was torn between using a table cover, but I noticed no one else utilized one, so I decided to leave it in the car. I don't doubt it would have made the table more finished, but I didn't want to go over the top. I was glad I did some research on helpful items to bring with me.
Here is a list of items:
1. Books to sell - since I am self-published, the location would have no way to obtain my work, so I decided to bring 4 copies of each book.
2. PR materials - book marks with blog/ website and list of books and business cards.
3. Stand up poster - I created a document that consisted of all 4 book covers in 8 x 10 format and set it at front of my table in a plastic holder.
4. ARC sign-up sheet - for people interested in receiving advanced reader copies of chapters. As I am getting feedback from individuals, I will send them more complimentary chapters.
5. Book stands - small stands I bought from Michaels. I used these to hold up each of my books at the front of my table.
6. Printed summaries of each book - to hand out to interested individuals if they would more info on any of my works.
7. Write up on any books not available - I made single copies of description of a book that was in transit and was redirected to Florida right before the my book signing.
8. Nice pen for book signings - quick dry, good grip needed. I used blue ink.
9. "Signed by Author" stickers - just a nice item to have. Creates a finished look and it was a big hit with all the authors that didn't have the sticker.
So, all in all, I was ready for my author signing. The only thing I really needed was more traffic. I did lurk in the hallway to tell the people entering the library about our book signing. I did get one person to come in that had no affiliation with any author. I took that as a plus.
I am eager for the opportunity for the next book signing, as I really enjoyed sharing the room with other authors.
Post a Comment